As a professional classical ballet school, Alma Dance School adheres to a professional dress code for all dancers. Current students should have their attire by the first day of class. New students have one week to purchase the required attire. Following is an overview of the dress code.
CHILDREN'S DIVISION DRESS CODE
Pre-Ballet (ages 3 & 4) : Light blue leotard with pink tights.
Pre-Ballet (ages 5 & 6): Lilac camisole leotard with pink tights.
Introduction to Level 1 (ages 7 & 8): Lilac camisole leotard with convertible pink tights.
PRE-PROFESSIONAL DIVISION DRESS CODE:
* Please note all uniform leotards from the Pre-Professional Division are from the brand Motionwear.
- PPBA: Black Leotard style #2149 with light pink alignment belt and convertible pink tights.
- PPPB: Black Leotard style #2603 with lilac alignment belt and convertible pink tights.
- PPBC: Black leotard style #2518 with turquoise alignment belt and convertible pink tights.
- Male Dancers for all divisions: White T-shirt, black tights, black dance belt and white socks (short).
Conditioning: Same attire as ballet class is required. Dance shorts can be worn. Please no pants as the teacher needs to see the legs. For conditioning class, students will need a mat and a theraband. Ages 11 & up will need two 2-pound ankle weights.
Character: Same attire as ballet class is required with black character skirt (which should be slightly below the knee) and black character shoes with 1.5 inch heels.
Contemporary/Modern: Same attire as ballet class is required. Dance shorts may be worn. Please no pants as the teacher needs to be able to see the dancers legs.
Partnering: Same ballet attire is required. Please no dance shorts, pants or skirts.
ALTERNATIVE DANCE DIVISION DRESS CODE:
Alternative Dance Division 2: Any black leotard with convertible pink tights.
ALL DIVISIONS' BALLET SHOES:
- Children’s Division: Pink canvas ballet slippers are required for ages 7 and above. Dancers ages 2-6 may wear leather slippers.
- Pre-Professional Division: Pink canvas ballet slippers are required, please no leather slippers. All students will be required to have stretchy pointe shoes ribbons on their ballet slippers. This will help the younger students learn the proper way to tie their shoes to build a habit for when they start pointe shoe work. The instructor/directors will demonstrate placement for the ribbons. Students approved by the directors to begin pointe work must also have their approval on the proper fit before sewing and wearing pointe shoes.
- Alternative Dance Division 2 & 3: Pink canvas ballet slippers are required, please no leather slippers. Students approved by the directors to begin pointe work must also have their approval on the proper fit before sewing and wearing pointe shoes.
- Male Dancers for all divisions: Must wear white ballet slippers.
Any shoes worn in class should never have been worn outside or on pavement as this may cause damage to the marley flooring. Students should also wear shoes to and from the studio and not arrive or leave barefoot. (Also note that black ballet shoes or black pointe shoes cannot be worn in the studio as it can stain the flooring.)
HAIR: Hair must be pulled back neatly and secured in a bun.
JEWELRY & ACCESSORIES: No jewelry is allowed in class, except for small stud earrings. This includes no rings, watches, fitness trackers or bracelets of any kind. No leg warmers, black tights, ballet skirts or extra clothing of any kind may be worn to class.
COVER-UPS: All students should wear cover-ups to and from the school at all times.
PURCHASING ATTIRE: Pre-Professional Division alignment belts may be purchased through the school at time of registration for $8. The uniform leotard, tights, ballet slippers and pointe shoes, character skirts and character shoes may be purchased at the Dance ‘N Tees store. They have two locations, One in Schaumburg-Salem Plaza Shopping Center, 1065 N Salem Dr, Schaumburg, IL 60194, (847) 884-5924, and the other one in Naperville-Wheatland Marketplace, 3124 IL-59, Naperville, IL, 60564, (630) 904-4433. (You may want to call ahead to make sure your dancer’s size is in stock.) The character skirt and shoes may also be ordered from Discount Dance Supply at www.discountdance.com.